Sunday, April 5, 2009

Gardening and Marriage

This weekend I worked in the yard. Woo Hoo!!!! I pulled so many weeds even my fingernails hurt. Several of us in the neighborhood have gone together to grow a vegetable garden. We spent Sunday afternoon tilling up the garden. While we were tilling we ran across a snake. I would have taken a picture of it for you, but forgot I had my phone in my pocket. Too bad for you. He was a cute little critter.

Working in the yard is like therapy for me. I LOVE digging around in the dirt. But, I have to tell ya, last year I let one of my flower beds go because I just didn't have time to mess with it and this year I AM PAYING FOR IT! It is overgrown and clearing it out is a REAL PAIN!!!!

So why am I telling you all this? Because while I was pulling the begillion (not sure that is a word) weeds, it really made me think about how bad things can get when you don't tend to your marriage or to your kids. Weeds start growing up. If you get to them quickly they don't take over, but if you let time go by looking at all the weeds can be totally intimidating. Sometimes you walk away just because you think, "I can't possibly deal with this." Which only makes things worse in the long run.

Just like weeds and ground cover choke out the beautiful flowers, so unresolved issues and petty arguments choke out love for your spouse and children.

It's spring time. Do you have some weeding to do?

No comments: