Thursday, September 17, 2009

Can you Say D-I-S-R-E-S-P-E-C-T?

Absolutely unbelievable were the words coming out of my mouth as I watched Serena throw a temper tantrum on the court.

I did not hear the President's speech on healthcare, but I was quite shocked when I heard a Senator yelled out in the middle of it.

Then to top it all off Kanye West jumps up on stage and takes the microphone away from Taylor Swift to tell everybody that Beyonce really had the best female video.

I have had to ask myself, "What is this world coming to?" What happened to manners and respect even when you don't agree?????

If I had done any of these things....even in my adult years, my mother would have had my head.

My husband and I have spent a lot of time and energy teaching our daughter to be respectful even when someone does not deserve it or you don't like what they are saying.

Living in a civil society means that "Anything does NOT go." There are certain things you just don't do.

I hope there were a lot of dinner table conversations with kids about these three examples of inappropriate behavior. Otherwise, we have a lot of young people who are going to assume that anything goes.......

Your thoughts?

1 comment:

Betty Anne said...

Ask my 6th grade school-teacher-husband how he sees the staggering trend of disrespect going. It is absolutely frightening. Raising good kids with good character qualities doesn't just happen, it takes intentional effort that stands against the norm, but it is worth it!