Monday, November 17, 2008

I love Fall


I love fall! I love the crisp air, watching the leaves turn and my favorite - watching the sunrise off of our deck.

This past weekend as I was headed to get some shopping done I saw the most beautiful rainbow I have ever seen. It was huge and the colors were brilliant. I pulled over just to stare.

Honestly, whenever I see things like this I just cannot help but give thanks that I can actually SEE the majesty of this world I live in. It never ceases to amaze me.
We are headed into a season where emphasis is placed on giving thanks. Lately it seems like all I hear about is how unstable the stock market is, home sales are down, bankruptcies are up, and credit card debt is out of control. If I am not careful I can easily get caught up in all the gloom. BUT the truth is, even in the midst of this craziness I still have so many things to be thankful for, not the least of which are my family and friends.
It is so easy for me to get caught up in the busyness of life that I loose track of how blessed I am. I have my health, a husband who loves me, my daughter who reminds me on a daily basis that I'm not too cool, a great job, freedom to express my opinions, friends who care enough about me to tell me the truth, and extended family who love me.....most of the time.
When I'm feeling sorry for myself because I want this or that and really can't afford it nor do I need it, something usually comes along to remind me I really have an amazing life.
So what are you thankful for?


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great post, Julie.

When the topic of being grateful comes up, I always repeat what my brilliant mom says. "Don't be upset about not having what you want. Be happy you DON'T HAVE what you DON'T WANT."

Isn't that the truth?! When it comes down to it, aren't we all far more relieved to NOT have (or to be freed from) the things we don't want than we could ever be happy to receive those things we crave? Avoiding pain (illness, debt, upheaval) may not be as flashy achieving pleasure, but I believe it's a lot more powerful.

So, I'm thankful for all the things I don't have that I wouldn't want in the first place.