Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Red Light Running

I have to get something off my chest!

In the last two days I have been sitting at stoplights getting ready to move because the light has turned green when someone comes flying through the intersection blatantly running the red light.

Our daughter is turning 16 in 16 days. I think she is a good driver for the amount of time she has been on the road, but honestly I am more worried about the other drivers and their driving than I am about her driving.

I told her this morning that the reason she has to learn to be a really good defensive driver is just because you follow the rules of the road does not mean everybody else will.

A couple of months ago I read an article in Reader's Digest about red light runners. When they asked people why they ran red lights the number one response was because they were in a hurry - not they were distracted talking on their cell phone or dealing with children - they knew they were running the red light!

According to the article, studies show that red-light running is on the rise across the country. In a six-year study, the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety found that deadly crashes at red lights increased at more than three times the rate of all other types of fatal auto accidents.

So, slow down and beware. Running a red light is not worth it!

No comments: